GMAT 680 to 730

Default Asked on September 18, 2012 in Student Debriefs.
Add Comment
2 Answer(s)

Hi,

Just done with my GMAT last week and scored 730 Q 48, V 42.. Although this is an improvement over my last score of 680 but I am not very thrilled with my score. Just to make it clear I am not unhappy either. Although 20 points more would have done no harm..would they?? I am saying so because my target score was 750 as I scored 760 and 770 in my last two GMATPreps. I was aiming 750 with a deviation of +-10 but in the end only managed a 730.. All this story to remind you that be prepared for surprises on the test day. I was banking on a Q score of 50/51 and in the worst case 49 but ended up with *only* 48. I would have achieved by target score had I not fared so badly in Q. Again to reiterate that it is good to depend on your strengths but be prepared for surprises on the test day. 
Coming to the preparation: I  had already given the GMAT once so I was familiar with overall structure and complexity of the test. I knew I had to increase my verbal score if I were to achieve my target score. After searching on the various forums for test prep companies I cam across CrackVerbal. I called and had a word with Arun and explained what were the problems I was facing on the Verbal section. After talking to him I realized I was talking to someone who knows the test inside out and could help me with my problem areas. I went ahead and enrolled into their online program. Needless to say I did not regret my decision. The best part is how quickly the team at CV responds to your queries. Although there are few downsides to the online course specially in terms of its packaging but the content and the quality of the content is top notch and in the end that  is the thing that matters the most. 
First thing a perspective test taker needs to do is understand the test –  the challenge that lies ahead of him/her and then figure out a plan according to his/her strengths. The best way to do this is to take a GMATPrep test and if you think you are not ready to sit for extended periods with high concentration levels you can take the paper diagnostic test in the OGs. After taking this test you can see which areas you need to work on more compared to the others. Before you start hitting the questions it is very important to build strong fundamentals. Depending on your weakness areas you can allocate appropriate time to various sections. Depending upon your work load/ professional or personal commitments you can make a study plan and remember it is very important to follow it. There would be many reasons/ opportunities to postpone your studies to the weekends but it is imperative that you study regularly over the weekdays as well.
My plan was to do the following:
Theory –  brush up the concepts though guide books and CV books
Complete OG systematically –  it is very important to review the questions you have attempted. Here I must say that maintaining a error log comes in quite handy at the later stages of your preparation. 
After the OG –  do the CV advanced document. This document exposes you to high level questions.
Take a test every weekend and review your test thoroughly. 
The material to follow is quite standard and has been discussed quite often on the forum so I will not mention it again. IT is very important to follow the right material and only practice from the official sources. 
In the end – fix your target score depending upon the schools you are targeting. Make a plan to reach your target score from your current score. Never shy to ask for help on the forum or from one of the CV faculty. Never forget that GMAT is only a piece of your MBA application and fairing poorly on the GMAT is not the end of the world. You can always retake the exam if you are not satisfied with your score. 
Happy GMATing,
Varun 
Default Answered on September 18, 2012.
Add Comment

Thanks for the great debrief Varun! I am sure there is a lot of takeways for the rest! 🙂

Arun
Expert Answered on September 21, 2012.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.